Staphon's Twitter Updates

twitstamp.com

These are my twitter updates. If you wish to follow me on twitter you

should definitely do so. theStaphon is me.

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

England Day 7/8

The last two days have gone in a bit of a blur. Its hard to believe that we only have 4 days left.

On Monday, we started at 9:30 and went out to the Tower Of London! It was actually VERY interesting learning about all the history from the audio device after a bit of coaxing from Jim to get one. I went around and spent a lot more time looking around, sketching and taking notes than I thought. The crowned jewels were definitely amazing to see, its weird that I was so close to objects that are worth more than my entire life! It was no wonder that they were protected by doors which each weighed 2 tons each, solid steel with titanium bolts! The only damper on it was that a a few of the objects weren't present, they were in use at that moment, most likely by the queen.

I left later than I was supposed to since I was supposed to meet Jim for a run through Hyde park at noon... I left the tower at that exact time.
I hurried back and ended up missing him, so I went on a run by myself, hoping to run into him on the way.

No cigar...

However, the run was very pleasant, long and hot, but pleasant. The small lake was a lot bigger than I thought, but running through it was very nice.

I returned just in time to head out to the London Eye. I got to see the 4D experience and before going up (which was lame, I'm sorry, it just was) and then we went up! UP up up! We were up higher than Big ben!

Ok, Side note! Big Ben; Such a let down. Biggest disappointment of England. I thought it would be so big that I would be able to see it from anywhere! But no, that puny little bell tower is so hard to see, I can never hear it, and you can't even SEE "Big Ben" because Big Ben is the bell, the clock is just called the Clock Tower. So dumb! The London Eye is definitely the new thing I will think of when I think of London, so much cooler!

Big Ben = Fail.


Tuesday morning, we started at 8:10am and headed out to Canterbury. Yeah, the only time I have ever heard the name is Canterbury tales, which just so happened to have taken place here... or something like that, I really have no idea what the canterbury tales even are to be able to tell you what its significance to the town is. I apologize for my lack of information on the subject.

We went to the Canterbury Cathedral which was rather interesting, very nice architecture, high ceilings and what not, and very old fashioned. It was interesting to be able to see the age on everything and to think that they built this hundreds of years ago, and many many years before the machinery was built to be able to make this in any decent amount of time. I pondered on that a bit as Rick and I left and went to see the Augustine Abby. Sadly, the AA was closed and we had to take our few pictures through a gate.

The rest of the afternoon was relaxing. We had lunch, some tea and scones, and just simply enjoyed the little town as much as we could. It had some nice design and was very quant and interesting to see, but all in all, the town was boring. There really wasn't anything incredibly fascinating about it aside from the Cathedral.

When we got back, we went out and had dinner at an old pub. It was a very cool pub to go to seeing as how the downstairs basement area was build in the 1300's as a monastery and years later in 1667, the top floor was built and the whole thing was turned into a pub. I had Lamb.

Tomorrow is the National Museum. It promises to be a blast and has all the pieces I have wanted to see. I'm stoked.

To Be Continued.

No comments:

Post a Comment