Staphon's Twitter Updates

twitstamp.com

These are my twitter updates. If you wish to follow me on twitter you

should definitely do so. theStaphon is me.

Friday, June 18, 2010

Acer Aspire 5100...

So the Brain Inter-Active Construct, aka, my Acer Aspire 5100, decided not to work a long while ago. So Last summer I dual partitioned it to have Windows XP and Linux Mint 7.

This worked for a while, except for some issues with my windows partition.

Linux always worked splendidly.

After a while of this, doing static resets to get windows to boot at all, finally it just would not work at all.

What would happen specifically is, I would turn the computer on, it would load the BIOS, then the POST and towards the end of the post it would beep twice LOUDLY and then give me an error like this:


ERROR
Resource conflict - PCI in slot 03
Bus: 06, Device:02, Function:00
ERROR
Resource conflict - PCI in slot 02
Bus: 06, Device:04, Function:00

ERROR
Resource conflict - PCI in slot 03
Bus: 06, Device:04, Function:00

Press to resume, to setup


Then I would press F1 and it would go into my boot screen and when I picked windows XP, it would start running Windows and freeze on the screen that said WINDOWS XP!

So, today, I decided to work on it, ya know, get it to work so it would be usable again, not that I need it, but I just wanted to work on a PC and train for my A+ a bit, show that I could actually wear the mantle of Certified Tech.

I opened it up, looked for PCI slot 3, couldn't find anything with that description, took things apart, blew out some ports with compressed air and put it all back together... a couple of times actually.

I looked it up on google, found some forums and did every little trick that they gave, turning off network boot, disabling the wireless cable network card, all kinds of things, still it would not get passed this. I ran hardware tests, they all passed, ran DFT, pass, Ran Memtest, passed, but it would not work!

So then I took out the HD, plugged it into my mac, and wiped it squeaky clean. But when I tried to INSTALL windows, it would freeze at the beginning of the windows install start.

I googled some more.

A few others were having this same problem. Their solution: Install Linux or chuck it.

I understand that Linux is great and all... but the fact that it can run and no form of Windows can even load up on my computer is a little weird.

Then I looked down at the apple sticker...

When I used this computer freshman and sophomore year, I had the whole OS looking as if it was a Mac. I taught it that Windows was stupid and only barely necessary...

Now it won't even take anything having to do with Window's...

I've created a windows hating monster...

I'm installing Linux Mint on it again... at least I'll be able to use that...

Its name, BRAINiac fits so much better now...

No comments:

Post a Comment